For our August 2016 Garden Visit, we will return to our president, Lyn Buffett's, home. This event will also be Logan Food Gardeners Inc.'s fourth birthday celebration.
Both Lyn and Logan Food Gardeners Inc. have achieved SO much in 2016, so our fourth birthday is certainly an occasion for celebration!
There is always something new to see in Lyn's garden, so it is worthwhile taking another look, even if you have been before. Lyn's garden is always extremely productive and so it would surprise many to know that it has taken a lot of clever tricks and hard work to get it that way. The soil is very hard and rocky, the property has a significant slope, which allows it to drain too well, and the block faces west which makes it very hot in summer and shaded in winter. Despite this it grows more abundant each year. The property incorporates permaculture principals and is organic (she has even stopped using glyphosate). Things to see:
- The largest quantity and variety of composting you have ever seen on a residential property.
- Biodigester producing gas for cooking
- use of tree mulch for building soil
- sugarcane bales used to retain garden beds
- wicking pots/garden beds
- Fruit trees, vegies, chooks and quails
- and lots more
Kids and partners welcome. Please wear shoes with tread, as Lyn's garden is steeply sloping.
Please bring along:
- things to share: excess produce, seeds, seedlings, plant material
- some special party food for our fourth birthday celebration afternoon tea
- a hat if it's fine or an umbrella if it is raining
- a small folding chair
The visit will be on rain, hail or shine, as there is a covered area if it is wet.
There will be a contribution box at the event and your contribution of between $2 and $5 per person will help Logan Food Gardeners' Inc. to cover its costs.